Sunday 29 June 2014

Log 2014 29th Jun: Territory Critique

Yesterday was my second writer’s group face-to-face critique session.

This time I submitted a short story called Territory.

Susan, my Alpha reader commented to me that she thought no one would get it.  She wasn't completely right, but neither was she completely wrong.  After re-reading the critiques it looks to be a fifty-fifty split in the feedback.  Of course, I should unpack "get it" means in this context; unfortunately I not sure I can.

It's a bit like defining “what is Science Fiction (SF)”.  I know what SF is when I see it, but can't easily explain exactly what SF is.  The more one tries to pin down what SF is, the more the definition ends up chasing itself around in circles.  The only thing one can do then is make lists and perhaps create a consensus, but this is fraught with its own problems too.

I left the session feeling aggravated, and on reflection, I came to the conclusion that having nine people reading out their opinions of my story 'at me' isn't a format I find helpful.

I felt there was too much feedback for me to (I want to say process, but that is too anodyne a word for the feeling) cope with (and cope is rather an understatement too).  I was left unable to reconcile opposing opinions (a conundrum I don't need), which were not helping me to understand my writing, and how to improve my voice.

So I will be researching critiquing, and have already come across this site, which has some useful comments as to what makes criticism constructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR

I currently do not run an email list and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

For those who subscribe to email updates for this blog, your personal data may be collected by the third party service. I have no control over the tool.

Blog posts or comments may include personal data such as the names of people who've made comments or similar. These posts are often shared on social media including my Twitter and FaceBook pages. The privacy policies of Twitter and Facebook will apply to information posted on their websites.

If you would like any personal data which is included in my blogposts or comments to be removed or have any questions, please email me through my contact widget.