Monday 9 October 2017

On Self Publishing

Awesome sketch by Elartwyne Estole.
Looking at the traditional publishing market what I see an industry that won't provide me with what I want in the time that I want it.  In the five years since I started writing fiction the changes have been enormous, and I'm old enough to realize that I've made a load of mistakes and can't waste any more time.

But now I want to use that learning and turn things around.

My first novel Bad Dog is a fully edited, and my plan now is to self-publish, because what do I have to lose?  By self-publishing my novel I hope I will learn more by its reception than waiting for a traditional publisher to buy my novel and the waiting for them to publish it.  Small and agile seems to me to be the way to go.

As you can see I've commissioned an artist, Elartwyne Estole, to do a cover for me, and the picture above is his concept sketch.  Isn't it awesome.  Wow, so excited.

Target date for being published January 2018.

My second novel, Strike Dog, is full of typos, homonyms, poor punctuation etc, etc, but I need to find out if the story is understandable.  So a friend, who is a journalist, is reading it now to check it out.  Afterwards I will send it for copy-editing so I can publish it.

Planned publishing date April 2018.

My third novel, Ghost Dog, having been through a round with Beta readers has been revised.  But, I'm having to reappraise how I work because using Beta readers takes time. Time I can't afford if I want to kick-start my writing career, and get out of the rut I've found myself in over the last few years.

Planned publishing date July 2018. 

So, I'm living through an interesting time of my life.  Wish me luck.

8 comments:

  1. I have money waiting 🤑Now I just need a novel to spend it on 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news Ashley, and many congratulations for taking this bold step. Now the hard work starts! The cover idea looks great. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve, it was a big step to make, but better to regret the things you've done than live with the regrets of things you haven't.

      Delete
  3. I will buy this book. Battletech fanatics gotta stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing your book come out so I can read it...

    ReplyDelete

GDPR

I currently do not run an email list and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

For those who subscribe to email updates for this blog, your personal data may be collected by the third party service. I have no control over the tool.

Blog posts or comments may include personal data such as the names of people who've made comments or similar. These posts are often shared on social media including my Twitter and FaceBook pages. The privacy policies of Twitter and Facebook will apply to information posted on their websites.

If you would like any personal data which is included in my blogposts or comments to be removed or have any questions, please email me through my contact widget.