Friday 17 March 2023

Science Fiction: Gatekeeping, Fandom & Genre Stagnation

Caught this, and I have opinions, which are probably not fair given this guy is doing an informal video talk about his opinions. Here's the reply I left.

I'm going to have to go away and think about this. While a lot of the points raised are worth discussing, I found some of the conclusions weak. For example, Sci-Fi as a term, coined by Forrest J. Ackerman, who arguably was the first high profile SF media fan as opposed to SF literature fan.

I used to rankle at SF being called Sci-Fi or skiffy, but nowadays I don't think it really matters because any negative implications from the term have long been overcome by the ubiquity of SF as a genre. Looking down on the term says more about the person looking down on it than the genre; namely intellectual snobbery.

And that's my problem with gatekeepers for what is essentially something that no longer makes any sense in the world as it is now, as compared to the 1930s, the evolution through the genre from the 1940s and 50s, to the new wave of the sixties and early 70s etc.

I tend to agree that fantasy encompassing sword and sorcery, epic fantasy and the such is not trying to emulate the sense of wonder that SF achieves when at its best. And as you say, revolutionary ideas are different to the evolution of tropes.

However, placing publishing as gatekeepers who are upholding the traditions of the genre doesn't stand up to scrutiny. An equally convincing argument can be made that they've held back the genre because their goals are to make profits, not evolve the genre per se. And, I agree these are not mutually contradictory goals, but the evidence is in product on the shelves.

Also, writers like Kristine Kathryn Rusch are self-published, yet also featured in traditional magazines (she is a Hugo award winner back in the 1990s), and the problem is rather diminishment of publishing from corporate buyouts. If anything one can argue that despite the criticism of self-publishing as being slapdash, this is the only area where a writer can write what they want, rather than write to market.

Of course, I would concede that a large number of self-published writers will write to market, but this has always been the case. It is a feature of capitalism, not a bug. As such, there's room for all fiction to reach the market, but the problem I fear you're actually railing against is how to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

That's a problem that I have no answer to, except that broad sweeping generalizations about self-publishing, and arguing from what one prefers has led to the arguments we see in social media. The vastness of cultural products, their accessibility, and becoming jaded from a glut of books to read only leads to a cul-de-sac of refined taste, and and as such becomes largely inaccessible to the general book reader.

TL;DR: There's room for revolutionary stories and re-framed retelling's of old stories.

3 comments:

  1. I love the fact that authors can have full control over their stories now. Not every self-pubbed author is going to be outstanding, but I don't think every trad-pubbed author is either. And Trad publishers seemed to have moved from what's interesting in a story to what's interesting to the publisher socially. I'm not convinced they're even interested in making money at this point.

    As far as the terminology is concerned; it's not necessary for an author to be super knowledgeable about it, but it certainly helps. In my observations, the fans get more upset about it. Personally, I prefer SF but Sci-Fi doesn't bother me at all. When actually speaking I say science fiction, so abbreviating it one way or the other makes little difference. I understand it much the same way as Trekkers/Trekkies, it's all "inside baseball" as it were. I don't think the casual fan just looking for some entertainment really gives two ****s about it.

    And your correct about the market as a whole. It's all an issue regarding separating the wheat from the chaff in the particular niche you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me first apologize for the delay in letting this through the moderation bot. Second, thank you for taking the time to comment.

      You're quite right, the problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff. However, I think that's why the age to find SF is twelve.

      Why? Because at that age I didn't care whether what I was reading was great, all I cared about was reading new stories.

      I think that the wheat and chaff is a result of having read widely, and coming to know what you find entertaining. Arguably, that is all that's necessary.

      Delete
    2. \\namely intellectual snobbery.

      :-))))

      If you think you, on the West have had it rough.

      There's to you a piece of trivia of sci-fi in Soviet Union.

      It was under HEAVY censure... for if it somehow would allow some "dirty thoughts" that Future could be somehow different from being Communism.

      And even some some High Tech proposed -- it always need to be "near aim sci-fi" -- basicly a feirytale-like story -- about how new scientifical and technological advances... will make life richer and merrier. In near... no, nearest future.

      Well, people still found a way to workaround that nasty censure... somehow.

      Delete

GDPR

I currently do not run an email list and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

For those who subscribe to email updates for this blog, your personal data may be collected by the third party service. I have no control over the tool.

Blog posts or comments may include personal data such as the names of people who've made comments or similar. These posts are often shared on social media including my Twitter and FaceBook pages. The privacy policies of Twitter and Facebook will apply to information posted on their websites.

If you would like any personal data which is included in my blogposts or comments to be removed or have any questions, please email me through my contact widget.