Sunday 5 January 2014

2014 Another New Year

A better late than never New Year post to mark the passing of the days.  As you can see from the above picture it rained here on New Years Day.  

However, despite the miserable weather, over the Xmas period I've been editing the first draft of Bad Dog and I'm nearly ready to send my baby out to be eaten by the Beta readers, I mean sent out to be read and enjoyed.  It now stands at 90,582 words, which means I removed about 2,500 words from the novel during the second draft.

In spite of the writing I've been doing I've largely been taking it easy, eating good food, drinking nice wine and watching films and the odd program on TV.

On the TV front we saw and enjoyed both Dr. Who and Sherlock.  I enjoyed both immensely.  

We saw a bunch of films.  First off was the original Planet of the Apes, with Charlton Heston, the original and the best of the series in my opinion.  Then we watched The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy that was a scream, and I hope these two actresses get to do another project together as they really spark off each other.  

My partner got us The Host, that was surprisingly good and very engaging, but it is a chick flick.  Then we watched World's End with Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Martin Freeman that I was really looking forward to seeing.  It has a kicker of an ending too.

After that we started on mainlining the series we got, starting with Grimm season one.  

While I cannot argue that the format of the show is repetitious, the stories and the character interactions are brilliant, and we have just gone and ordered season two.  It's that good.  

In the meantime while we wait for Amazon to deliver our order we have just started on Space: Above and Beyond that has recently become available on region two.  It's an oldie from 1995 that only saw one season.  

It has its problems, but some of the stories we have watched so far have been outstanding, having the characters tackling hard issues.  The biggest problem is the writers lack of of understanding about the military organization and chain-of-command, which leads to some real foot in mouth plots where our Marine Aviators are sent on missions where grunts would be sent instead.

I managed to finish Chris Moriarty's Spin State too, which I really enjoyed reading again.  The book has some wild out of the box extrapolation based on quantum entanglement that is mind blowing.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes hard SF that pushes the boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GDPR

I currently do not run an email list and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

For those who subscribe to email updates for this blog, your personal data may be collected by the third party service. I have no control over the tool.

Blog posts or comments may include personal data such as the names of people who've made comments or similar. These posts are often shared on social media including my Twitter and FaceBook pages. The privacy policies of Twitter and Facebook will apply to information posted on their websites.

If you would like any personal data which is included in my blogposts or comments to be removed or have any questions, please email me through my contact widget.